Almost Turkish Recipes

Baked Zucchini Mousakka (Fırında Kabak Musakka)


























There is something about mousakka recipes; they always turn delicious, even at the sloppiest restaurant. One of the best eggplant zucchini dishes I've ever had was at my boarding school's cafeteria where even a boiled egg could be a disaster. The reason why mousakka dishes are tastier out at a restaurant is the amount of oil used. Usually it's tastier when it's greasier. Although I love to eat greasy mousakkas out, I prefer healthier ones at home. For this recipe, in stead of deep frying zucchini rounds, I baked them. If you want a vegetarian mousakka, replace ground meat with TVP or try mousakka with garbanzo beans.


























2 lb zucchini, cut in 1/3 inch rounds
1/2 lb ground meat
2 medium onions, finely chopped
2 banana peppers or 1 bell pepper, chopped
1 can of diced tomatoes
2 tbsp tomato paste
2 tomatoes, sliced in rounds
3 tbsp olive oil
1/2 cup fresh dill, chopped
salt and black pepper


























-Bake zucchini rounds in a preheated oven at 400F for ~30 minutes.
-Heat olive oil in a frying pan. Add onion and green pepper, and cook until soft.
-Add ground meat. It will release some water. Cook until meat soaks the water.
-Add tomato paste. Stir for a minute.
-Add diced tomato and cook for 5 minutes.
-Turn it off and add salt, pepper, pepper flakes if you wish, and fresh dill.
-Layer half of the zucchini rounds in an oven safe dish. Cover with half of the ground meat sauce. Make the second layer of zucchini rounds and pour over the rest of sauce.
-Add 1/3 cup hot water.
-Place tomato slices on top.
-Bake at preheated 375F for half an hour.

5 comments:

  1. Anonymous4:13 AM

    You are so right! Moussaka tastes good in reastaurant because of the oil. I always make it with baked aubergines. Love the zucchini version. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the way it's like a deep-dish pie. This looks so hearty and delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So I've tried this before and my boyfriend loved it so trying again and wondering if I can make it ahead of time and freeze it then pull it out and bake for a bit longer?... If so that would make this perfect to have in the freezer for weekday meal prep made easy!!

    Thank you for your blog trying to learn to cook Turkish food for askim and this is my go to ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I made it this evening. Add a bit of garlic to the onion. It was AMAZING. Simple yet great tasting. My guest finished all that I made. It's a keeper. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete