Almost Turkish Recipes

Pressure Cooker Steak (Düdüklüde Biftek)

























Another family favorite. Growing up I wasn't an enthusiastic red meat eater but I would never resist pressure cooker steak. It is always tender delicious with green pepper and oregano flavor. Usually my mom prepares the dish according to the ingredients I list below. However, once in a while she uses grated tomatoes in stead of sliced ones and adds 1 tbsp of tomato paste.
for four
4 steaks, cut ~1/4 inch thick
3 potatoes, peeled and thickly sliced
3-4 tomatoes, thickly sliced
4-6 green chilies, banana peppers (I used anaheims), seeded
1 tsp oregano leaf
1 tsp black pepper
1 tbsp olive oil
salt
























-Place steaks at the bottom of the pressure cooker; it's ok if they overlap.
-Place potato slices on steaks.
-Cover all with tomato slices.
-Put green peppers on top.
-Sprinkle salt, oregano leaf and black pepper.
-Pour 1 tbsp olive oil.
-Pour water to barely cover steaks and vegetables.
-Cover and pressure cook on meat or high setting on medium to low heat for 20-25 minutes. If you have not-so-good-cut of steak, cook for 30 minutes.
-Serve with rice and/or crusty bread.


Do not let the simplicity of pressure cooker steak mislead you; oregano is the key ingredient.
This recipe is my contribution to Weekend Herb Blogging founded by Kalyn. WHB is hosted by Ahn of Food Lover's Journey.

9 comments:

  1. Oh yes, I can imagine that this would taste wonderful. My mother used to use a pressure cooker, but I haven't cooked with it. I notice a lot of Indian cooks seem to use it a lot too. I remember my mom made wonderfully tender and juicy meat dishes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting: I don't think I have ever had a pressure cooker steak, though my mother sometimes used the pressure cooker.

    Also, I am passing to you the meme that asks you to write six random things about yourself in a blog post, then to pass it to six people. I wrote about this today. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bought a pressure cooker about 6 months ago, and the more familiar I get with it, the more I cook with it. Everything that comes out of it is amazing. I'd appreciate any pressure cooker recipes you have!

    Some questions: was this tested on the old-fashioned (duduklu) type of pressure cooker or in the modern, "safe" type? I'm asking because it might affect the amount of water needed. Also, modern pressure cookers usually have two levels of pressure: high and low. When you say medium to low, do you mean low pressure, or maintaining high pressure on medium heat? Sorry for the technicality of the question, but it does make a difference. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. On my pressure cookers, Duranatic, I consider med.hi half way between the bottom and top red rings. I hope that helps.

      Delete
  4. Saskia, I have a T-Fal Speedy Chef Pressure cooker, just http://www.amazon.com/T-Fal-41523200-Speedy-Chef-Stainless-Steel-Pressure/dp/B0009RLNYG

    It has vegetable, meet, and frozen settings. I put it on meat setting and cooked on low-medium heat. Hope this helps.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sound easy to use a pressure cooker :P

    Came from WHB round up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. tigerfish-I was scared of using one for a long time, too. Then I got t-fal speedy chef and i'm still in love with it after 4 years.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous10:58 AM

    it looks really delicious
    I will try soon (hoping my pepper plants will start to produce some pods...)

    Graziana
    www.erbeincucina.it

    ReplyDelete
  8. I do my steak in the pressure cooker sometimes too :) I was shy at first to tell anyone :D

    ReplyDelete