Antalya Bean Salad (Antalya Usulü Piyaz)


























Piyaz
is what we call bean salads in Turkey, but the term is actually Persian and means "onion." Piyaz is usually prepared with northern beans and kneaded onion; dressed with olive oil and vinegar; spiced up with pepper flakes; and decorated with tomatoes, parsley, and hard-boiled eggs. Depending on the region, piyaz might have green onions or sumac. However, in Antalya, a beautiful city with magnificent beaches and historical places on the Mediterranean coast, piyaz is made differently than the rest of Turkey. The difference is tahini and garlic, which, to my surprise since I'm not a great tahini fan, enriches the taste incredibly. In Tekirdag, my hometown, piyaz is served always with Tekirdag Meatballs. However, with tahini it can be a main dish as well.
2 cups of cooked northern beans
1 onion, cut finely in half-moons
1/2 cup parsley, finely chopped
1 tsp crushed pepper
1 or two hard boiled eggs, sliced
1 tomato, diced

1/4 cup tahini
1/4 cup vinegar
1/4 cup lemon juice
2 cloves of garlic, minced











-Soak the beans over night. Bring them to a boil and then on medium heat cook them until soft. Or use canned beans.
-In a bowl mix tahini, vinegar, lemon juice, and garlic for the sauce/dressing. It shouldn't be too runny or thick. Since different tahini brands have different density, it's hard to find the perfect mixture. If the dressing you make with the measures above is thick, add some of the water that you used to cook the beans or use the juice in the can. If it's runny than you can thicken it with more tahini.
-Pour the tahini dressing over the beans and mix them well.
-Slice the onion thinly julienne style in half moon shape. In a bowl knead it with 1 tsp salt. Rinse.
-Mix the beans with onion and parsley.
-Decorate the bean salad with tomatoes and slices of hard-boiled eggs.

17 comments:

  1. I think it sounds fabulous. I like Tahini quite a lot, but I do agree it can be too strong in some combinations. With these beans it sounds perfect to me. With a bit of red pepper flakes too! I must make this sometime, saving the recipe now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the idea of tahini and beans -- the beans alone can be quite bland, and the tahini quite strong. I will definitely put this on my list to try. (It's also a great use of pantry items!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Again a must try for me!! thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. domestic cat5:55 AM

    Hello Burcu, I liked both the recipe and the new layout of your blog. Good work, congratulations! It has been a long while without cooking any bean salad, I really missed it:-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this new layout, so clean and sleek :D
    another wonderful salad!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love beans in all shapes and sizes!
    The bean salad sounds particularly good - especially with the tahini which I really like.
    I did the same thing when we moved to Andorra - tried all the beans trying to find ones I was familiar with!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks you all for your nice comments on the recipe and the layout.

    Katie, are there any Andorran recipes on your blog that we can explore?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh!! That looks heavenly! I swear, every one of your recipes are fabulous!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. this sounds so nutritious.. what a twist to the egg salad.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous1:53 PM

    just thought you should know that someone is using your images and recipe on this page.

    http://www.grouprecipes.com/11162/antalaya-bean-salad.html

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks anonymous!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous2:04 PM

    this is one of the best piyaz recipes ever! try blending in about two spoonfuls of mashed beans into the sauce (this is considered to be the 'secret' ingredient of the antalya cooks).

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'll definitely try the secret ingredient next time. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  14. It looks really delicious. I will try it now. Forever Antalya :))

    ReplyDelete
  15. When I watched my "host mom" in Antalya make this, she used a little oil in the dressing. Do you recommend this? I tried to replicate her "recipe" it tasted terrible, so I'm happy to have a real recipe with measurements - maybe that will help! Either that, or time and experience. Anyway, thanks so much and I love your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  16. We have prepared it today and so much loved. A perfect recipe. Suggested to everyone who cares about taste.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Anonymous5:09 AM

    This dish is amazing. I can't recommend it highly enough. Refreshing and yet filling.

    ReplyDelete

Print