Tomato Soup with Greek Noodle Nests (Yunan Şehriye Toplu Domates Çorbası)



























I found these Greek thin noodle nests at an international market. They looked so cute that I had to buy them. On the package it was suggested to cook the noodle nests in water with a little bit olive oil and salt, and to serve as a soup with lemon juice. That recipe sounded blend to me, so I decided to use them in tomato soup, and the result was very tasty. The only drawback, which is not actually a drawback, was that I had to eat my soup with the help of a fork. As you can see from the picture below noodles were a bit long for a spoon!



























4 Greek thin noodle nests (the brand I got was Misko)
1 can of organic diced tomatoes processed in a food processor OR 3 tomatoes, processed / blended OR 2 cups of tomato juice
2 tbsp olive oil or butter
1 small onion, finely chopped
1 clove of garlic, sliced (optional)
1 banana pepper or red pepper, chopped
4 cups of vegetable stock or water
1 tsp paprika
1tsp of peppercorns (optional)
1 tsp ground black pepper
1 tsp pepper flakes (optional)
1/2 bunch parsley, finely chopped

-Heat the oil in a broad pot. Saute onion and pepper until soft. Add paprika and constantly stir for at most a minute (burnt paprika is useless)
-Stir in the tomato. Bring to a boil. Cook for 5 minutes. Add vegetable stock, black pepper, pepper flakes, and salt. Bring to a boil and cook for 2-3 minutes. Turn down to medium.
-Place the noodle nests. Cook for 5 minutes on low-medium. Do not let it boil vigorously and do not cook more than 5 minutes, you may lose the nest shape.
-After 5 minutes, turn it off and add parsley.

I switched back to parsley again for Weekend Herb Blogging which is founded and hosted by Kalyn of Kalyn's Kitchen. Kalyn is also among the hosts of the Menu for Hope event. For more information visit either Kalyn's blog or Chez Pim.

13 comments:

  1. I love noodle but have never tried this one. The dish looks very tempting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, did you send me this link? I don't think I got it. Anyway, no worries because I found it now. Love the noodle nests!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Burcu,
    The photos are so beautiful!!! and I'm sure the taste must be delicious (love whole peppercorns!)
    Can you check for me the ingredients of Greek Noodle? Just want to see if I can replace with others which I can easily here, I do see something very very similar (nest also) but just not import from Greece. Thanks Burcu!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tomato soup is almost always good but your version seems to be particularly good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks everyone!
    Gattina, acc to the package noodles have durum wheat semolina and water, and I've found them online, too. Here's the link and it's exactly what I used for the soup:
    http://www.greekshops.com/detail.aspx?ProdID=FIDES01

    And after the soup, I also cooked the noodles following the instructions, but in stead of serving it as a soup with lemon juice, I served them along with green curry coconut milk fish--blended with the curry sauce. It was great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. with green curry fish is splendid!!! Thanks for the info and the link, I think I can get it now! Thank you so much Burcu!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Merhaba Burcu,
    Your blog is great, if you dont mind I have added link here.
    When I have free time I will try to cook something of your recipes... adore turkish sweets!
    Keep it going...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the soup with noodle nest. Looks delicious and tempting.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks Sher, Lax, and Mandira! I have to admit the soup was delicious :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. It sounds great, but my mum uses only fresh tomatoes for a tomatoes soup !

    ReplyDelete
  12. If anyone's looking for an alternative to these noodles...simply look for nests of vermicelli...same thing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anonymous3:19 PM

    Good morning Burcu.
    Your blog is really great.
    I am Greek and I know well this product. The Greek name is Fide and before we put it in soup we crash them into small parts.

    ReplyDelete

Print