Almost Turkish Recipes

Turkish Bruschetta (Fırında Domates ve Maydanozlu Ekmek)



























When I was a kid, the biggest torture for me was to have stale bread for breakfast, and this recipe was my mom's genius invention to market stale bread to us. It worked well; it is still my favorite breakfast. Everything you expect from a Turkish breakfast is here on a slice of bread: tomatoes, feta cheese, olives, parsley, banana peppers, and eggs. Those little slices loaded with deliciousness go well with (Turkish) tea at both breakfast and afternoon-tea time.

Must-haves of this recipe are stale "real" bread (never ever use any kind of toast bread or freshly baked "real" bread, since they both get really soaky with tomato juice), fresh tomatoes, banana peppers, feta cheese, parsley, and an egg. The rest is up to you; you can add, remove, or modify the ingredients.

1 French baguette, sliced (I use French bread, because it tastes more Turkish to me than any other bread; however, you can also use sourdough, whole wheat, whole grain, etc.)
2 fresh tomatoes, petite diced
1 banana peppers, chopped
1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
1/3 cup black olives, pitted and chopped
1 egg
1/3 bunch parsley, finely chopped
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp crushed pepper
1 tsp paprika
1/2 tbsp olive oil
salt (how much salt you will use depends on what kind of feta cheese you have; if it's a really salty one you may not even need salt)

With these ingredients, I could top 18 slices of French baguette.












-Mix all the ingredients in a bowl. Place the tomato mixture on bread slices with a spoon. If the bread is "really" stale, use the juice from the bottom of the bowl to wet the top of the bread slice. Place the bread slices on a broiler tray
-There will be some juice left in the bowl. Put some on top of each slice
-Broil 6-7 inches below heat until slightly brown. Approximately 8-10 minutes

13 comments:

  1. hi! your blog is... delicious!! Now excuse me, i have to go eat!!!
    ana

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderfully inventive way to use stale bread.

    Thanks for sharing and check back later for the Weekend Herb Blogging Event round up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it sounds really wonderful. I like all the components! Turkey is one of the countries where I haven't been and I'm dying to go there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds delicious! Always looking for ways to use up the last bit of bread!

    ReplyDelete
  5. your recipe really wows me!!! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad you liked the recipe. After soo many years it's still my favorite breakfast treat!

    Kalyn: if you decide to go to Turkey let me know, I might be there or can name places or restaurants.

    ReplyDelete
  7. krista1:59 PM

    I just found your food blog and we have something in common. My parents lived in Turkey for awhile, they are origianlly from Greece but now we live in Boston. Most of the recipes I see in your site are the same ones like my family uses.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Krista,
    I love Greek food, but there's not a good Greek restaurant here. I'll be in Boston in November, can you tell me a good Greek restaurant in Boston?

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's a great recipe. What a lovely way to start the monring!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Woww sounds great. Tomorrow I am going to prepare this with Turkish Tea. I liked your blog and by the way we are from same home city( Tekirdag).

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks, Mademoiselle! Let me know if you have a good Tekirdag kofte recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. omg, that looks sooooo delicious, I can wait to try it.

    ReplyDelete

Print